The technology team at Birchbox is responsible for development (and maintenance) of the company's customer-facing sites
(in the United States, France, the UK, and Spain), managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other
teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 110+-person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source technologies:
Debian-based servers; Chef deployments; Ruby on Rails, Java and PHP services; and Python, Perl and R scripts. The size of our
team and the breadth of its responsibilities means we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on
tasks without requiring close supervision. In return our engineers are given leeway to use their own initiative.
Our team spans software engineering, technical operations, product, and data science. Our challenges include:
- evolving our software and systems architecture to support a rapidly growing customer base across multiple countries and languages;
- designing and implementing the best user experience for our customers; We are striving to revolutionize online retail.
- using data, complex algorithms, and statistics, to personalize the Birchbox experience for our customers, both offline and online.
Meet the team
- Ryan Buskirk is a web application engineer, arcade machine builder, guitar wailer, and all around swell guy with over ten years of professional experience.
- Becky Case is an engineer who's worked on multi-million-dollar-per-day systems without batting an eyelash. She is obsessed with her Yorkie, Pixel.
- Jereme Corrado is a systems architect who enjoys building clean solutions to the hard problems of scale and continually evolving dev.
- Liz Crawford is the CTO @ Birchbox. She has a PhD in Computer Science, and a preference for silly novels, adventurous sports, and sunshine.
- Tammy Hwang is a former UI engineer turned product manager who obsesses over how to optimize everything from user experience to brewing coffee to styling her hair.
- Aaron Ingram is the author of Practical Oracle Security and a backend programmer specializing in databases and security.
- Benjamin Kelly is a data scientist and thrives on discovering actionable insights from data. He has a PhD in Electrical Engineering, specializing in Information Theory and Statistics, and enjoys jazz, chess and current affairs.
- Matt Kimmel is a jack-of-all-trades programmer who thrives on coding challenges and is fueled by fresh sushi.
- Dave Lewis is a dedicated problem solver with a pragmatic approach to everything.
- Marie Matheson is an espresso-powered software engineer, responsible for feature development and occasional dabbling in web site beautification.
- Ashley Miller is an engineer whose great desire is to make the whole world data driven. She reads tech blogs like some girls read fashion mags.
- David Morrison is a product guy who is passionate about technology, startups, design and sports. He loves a jog. And still hasn't found the perfect journal.
- Jenn Vargas is a product manager who loves diving into the code and design of her projects. She's also a photographer with a bit of an addiction to musicals.
- Dan Zeehandelaar is a product manager who geeks out about logistics. He also flies airplanes.