*Give your decision long and careful consideration, but don’t even think about snipping it in front of other humans. Block off some mirror time and have a conversation with your mustache. After meditating on it, make your decision.
* Before you part ways with your ‘stache, have one more wild night together. Hopefully one that includes a long and passionate kiss.
* Don’t lather up and take a razor directly to your upper lip. First, buzz or snip it down to a shave-able length with a beard trimmer or a pair of scissors.
* Once you get your mustache down to a proper shaving length, soften up the stubble with a hot towel.
* Apply a preshave oil to soften the stubble and assist with razor glide.
* Lay down a generous amount of a sturdy shave cream atop the preshave base.
* Using a disposable razor is akin to breaking up with your ‘stache via text message. We recommend shaving with the grain using a balanced razor with a weighted handle. An old-school safety razor shows an extra degree of respect.
* Rinse your upper lip with cold water and follow with a healthy application of postshave balm.
* A word of caution: You will miss the ‘stache as soon as it’s gone. You’ll be hankering for a rebound ‘stache. Out of respect to the departed, wait a little while to start a new one.
Photo: © Kurt Krieger/Corbis