1. Undone Hair: Unfussy waves (think the way your hair looks after it’s been in a bun all day) are polished without looking too fussy. If you’ve got waves already, good for you—all you need is a light styling cream. Stick-straight hair? Fake the look with a texturizing spray like Oribe’s Après Beach Wave and Shine Spray and your flat iron. Watch our video to learn how to use your straightener to get loose curls.
2. Fresh Faced: The no makeup look has been popular for seasons, but we’re finally getting the hang of it. Our trick? Prepping skin with a stellar BB Cream before following up with strategic concealer. A bit of cream blush and you’ll look naturally polished. Extra credit: Use a bit of face oil for a model-like glow.
3. Bright Shadows: This season, we’re challenging you to try shades that are outside of your comfort zone—think electric purple, deep green, or even burnt orange. Invest in a foolproof matte collection like stila’s in the know palette, which features fiery tones and matching neutrals. Keep things daytime-appropriate with minimal makeup everywhere else.
4. The New Braid: Hair stylist Anna Schneider created this side twist as an antidote to braid fatigue. Try it on second day hair, or clean hair that has been texturized or lightly teased. Read our step-by-step guide (with pictures!) here.
5. Color Matching: Is color coordination the new color-blocking? We say yes! This season, let your makeup take cues from your outfits. If you’re loving brightly colored jeans (we are), try the same shade on your eyes. Stripes your thing? Take the look to your fingernails. (We’ve got a handy chevron nail tutorial to help you out.)
6. Modernly Sweet Scents: Even though the weather is getting cooler, fall fragrances are decidedly feminine—even Lady Gaga’s much-hyped “black eau de perfume” is underscored by orchid and apricot. We’ll skip the singer’s debut in favor of warm floral-wood blends like JOYA’s Âmes Sœurs, which features orange blossom and cedar, or Juicy’s brand new Viva La Juicy La Fleur, a sheer take on the original flirty scent.
7. Plum Patrol: Brush aside the ‘90s flashbacks—dark lips are back and they’re thoroughly modern. The trick is picking a deep purple with dimension, like Beauty is Life’s ultra creamy Aubergine lipstick. If you’re easing into the look, wear it as a stain: apply your lipstick, blot with a tissue, and then dab a little more pigment with your fingertip.
8. Big Volume: Retro lift isn’t going anywhere, so who are we to argue? Whether you’re going for an Adele-style coif or a poufy ponytail, you’ll need a volumizing spray like Oscar Blandi’s Pronto Texture & Volume Spray and a teasing brush.
9. Sleek as Can Be: Slicked back, almost-architectural hair is just as hot as mega volume. Test out the look by prepping strands with a heat-protecting serum like Sedu® Anti-Frizz Polishing Treatment, then methodically straightening hair. Pull hair into low pony or bun and make sure to tamp down every last flyaway with serum or a light mist of hairspray.
10. Mixed Up Mani: With so many saturated fall shades to choose from, it’s impossible to stick to just one. We’re combining hot hues like slate grey and cheery chartreuse in a single mani—try a half moon or colored French style. Or try a statement nail by painting four nails in a soft neutral like tenoverten in Mulberry with a gilded rose gold like Color Club®’s Put a Pin in It on your pinky.