3 Chic Costume Ideas for Halloween
As much as we love dressing up for Halloween, pre-made costumes have never really screamed fashionable-forward to us. This year, we’ve done the legwork for you and pulled together three chic ensembles based on some of our favorite fictional movie characters. Go trick or treat in style!
Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby
Baz Luhrmann's remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel “The Great Gatsby" is one of next year's most highly anticipated films. Although it doesn't come out until May, people are already fawning over the dazzling Roaring '20s looks rocked by Daisy Buchanan, played by Carey Mulligan.
- Beauty: Daisy is all about a fresh face and smoky eye. To score her dazzling glow, apply Peter Thomas Roth's Un-wrinkle Concealer and Brightener. For eyes, use Pixi's Beauty Lid & Line to create a soft line and then smoke it out with a combo of dark shades from theBalm® cosmetics NUDE 'tude™ Nude Eyeshadow Palette. To complete the look, use the liner to create a tiny mole on the right cheek.
- Costume: Given that flapper style is all the rage these days, channeling Daisy's look is a cinch. Pick up a beige beaded dress like this one from Romeo & Juliet Couture or if you’re not having luck finding something you like in stores, stop by your local vintage shop. Complement your finger waved 'do with House of Harlow 1960's regal headpiece and stack your wrists with Charlotte Russe's pearl cuffs.
Suzy in Moonrise Kingdom
Wes Anderson's latest twee-happy film features an adorable character named Suzy, played by Kaya Harward. The fashion world has been crushing hard on Suzy's retro scout-meets-school girl vibe, so this is sure to be a mega popular costume this year.
- Beauty: Suzy's signature is her blue eye shadow. To make those peepers pop, apply the frosty blue hue featured in stila's Azure Shadow all over the lids and line the eyes with stila's smudge stick waterproof eyeliner in blue peacock.
- Costume: Peter Pan collars a la Alexa Chung are super on-trend right now, so it won't be difficult to find a dress that suits Suzy's preppy style. Save for the short sleeves, this canary yellow dress is a dead ringer for Suzy's favorite bright frock. Pair it with some textured white over-the-knee socks and classic saddle oxford shoes, like these beauties by Bass x Rachel Antonoff.
Queen Ravenna in Snow White and the Huntsman
Charlize Theron's look in this fantastical flick is beyond fierce. From a statement braid to dripping diamonds to an ice-cold stare, the stunning starlet channels Queen Revanna to perfection—and so can you!
- Beauty: To score the Queen's bewitching gaze, opt for bold brows and a smoky eye with a winged edge. For brows, nab Benefit's Brow Zings and watch this snazzy tutorial on how to perfectly shade and shape your arches. For eyes, blend the taupe and dark purple shades from stila's In the Moment Eyeshadow Palette and apply to the entire lid, winging up at the outer corners. Gently rim the eye with Noir's Long-Wear Eyeliner for added drama. To take it one step further, replicate Ravenna's crowd braid by watching this handy how-to.
- Costume: When it comes to Revanna’s style, think black and drapey. Opt for a black long-sleeve maxi and pick up black cape with a wicked collar. Sport two armadillo rings and a moody polish to complete the look. For an extra dose of fun, you can also pick up this Queen Ravenna dagger.
- By Natalie Alcala