Simple Chocolate Cake (or Cupcakes) with a Twist
1 ½ cups all purpose flour, plus 1 tbsp.
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 ½ sticks butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sour cream
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped Chuao Chocolatier Chocolate Bars in Honeycomb bar (approx. 2 bars)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour two 9-in. cake rounds, or line 24 cupcake molds.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until pale in color.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl with each addition. Mix until well incorporated.
5. Add sour cream and vanilla to the mixture until evenly combined.
6.In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
7.Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, scraping the bowl between each addition.
8. Toss a tablespoon of flour with the chopped chocolate pieces until evenly coated, then fold in chocolate pieces with a spatula into the batter.
9. Carefully distribute batter to your prepared cake pans or cupcake tins. If making cupcakes, fill each mold ¾ full, approximately the size of a large ice cream scoop. If using cake pans, divide the batter in half and pour evenly into each pan. To create the tasty cupcakes pictures here, we baked a tray of 12 for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. For traditional cakes, bake the gooey batter 30-35 minutes.
10. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting. Enjoy!
Purchase a Birchbox subscription through November 17 to score this month's box (some subscribers will receive decadent Chuao chocolate!). Packed with top-notch samples from can’t-miss brands, it has everything you need to stay gorgeous all month long.