We’ll admit there’s nothing better than a freshly toasted, salty delicious BLT. But in the interest of keeping our resolution to eat more greens, we’re opting for this alternative from Gina Homolka. Theblogger behind Skinnytaste and author of The Skinnytaste Cookbook, created her BLT Salad with Avocado to satisfy bacon cravings without piling on the calories. She swaps bread out for greens and uses center-cut bacon, which is closer to the bone and leaner than your standard strips.Try it with turkey bacon, too, or tempeh bacon for a vegetarian dish.
BLT Salad with Avocado
12 slices lean center-cut bacon, room temperature
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmann’s Light)
1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 medium Hass avocado, chopped
1. Put the bacon in a large skillet and set the skillet over low heat. Cook the bacon, turning often, until crisp.
2. Transfer to a paper towel to drain and cool. Crumble the bacon.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes and mayonnaise and season with salt and a pinch of black pepper. Set aside for about 10 minutes to let the tomatoes release their juices as this will be the “dressing” for your salad.
4. To serve, place 1½ cups lettuce on each of 4 plates, top each with about ½ cup of the tomato mixture.
5. Layer on the avocado and bacon and serve.
For more great tips on how to make 2015 your best year ever, and to enter to win our daily giveaway, check out the Birchbox Challenge.