Step 1: Declutter
Have multiple tubes of the same shade of red lipstick, or maybe that face mask you bought on a whim a year ago is starting to smell a bit funky? If the answer is yes to one or both of these, then its probably time for a product purge. Start by placing everything in front of you, similarly to when youre cleaning out your closet, as this will help you determine what to ditch and what to keep. Next, place similar items into piles, and make a mental note of products that you know are in your daily rotation. Youre not going to bid farewell to a pair of skinny jeans that end up in your laundry basket on a weekly basis. Next, say goodbye to anything thats changed scent, texture, color, or if you havent touched it in over a year. If youre not sure, most beauty products have a timestamp (in number of months) on the back of the packaging that indicates when to toss.
Step 2: Determine Your Needs
Whether youre more of a BB cream kinda gal or a full-on red lip lady, its best to consider your lifestyle and needs before selecting items to keep or purchase. You wouldnt hold onto five skirts if you only find yourself sporting dresses, right? Another thing to bear in mind is your skin type, hair texture, and overall beauty aesthetic to ensure you only hold onto and buy products that will help you to look and feel your best. One of the best ways to ensure youre getting the best products for your needs is by filling out your Birchbox beauty profile. Doing this helps us send you samples that are more suited for your personal needs.
Step 3: Do Your Research
We know its tempting to purchase beauty items based on cute packaging or the claims on the box, but before whipping out your credit card, take the time to figure out if this new item lends itself to what youre really looking to get out of a product. Start by doing a quick Google search, examining the ingredients list, and reading other peoples reviews. You can actually filter on Birchbox.com when searching for products so you only view items that work with your needs. The idea of trying before you buy (read: sampling each month!) can be super helpful when determining if a product is worth holding space in your medicine cabinet.
Now that youve purged, identified your beauty style, and gotten some shopping tips, see below for staple suggestions to add to your new capsule beauty wardrobe.
Your Makeup Layers
Put your best face forward with these bases, eye-enhancers, and pout perfectors.
- Tinted Moisturizer: Marcelle City Multi-Protection Tinted Cream SPF 25
- Concealer: Benefit Cosmetics Boi-ing Airbrush Concealer
- Mascara: Stila Cosmetics HUGE Extreme Lash Mascara
- Brow Product: Benefit Cosmetics Foolproof Brow Powder
- Blush: The Beauty Crop Blush Duo
- Lipstick: Este Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick
- Eyeliner: Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner
- Blending Tool: beautyblender original
Your Skincare Basics
Build a skincare routine with these trusted cleansers, moisturizers, and masks.
- Makeup Remover: Avne 3 in 1 Make-Up Remover
- Cleanser: Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser
- Moisturizer: Air Repair Complexion Boosting Moisturizer
- Face Mask: Kiehl's Rare Earth Pore Cleansing Masque or GLAMGLOW THIRSTYMUD Hydrating Treatment
- Facial Sunscreen: COOLA Classic Face Sport SPF 50 White Tea
Your Haircare Essentials
Get tressed to impress with these daily hair helpers.
- Shampoo: Living proof. Perfect hair Day (PhD) Shampoo
- Conditioner: Living proof. Perfect hair Day (PhD) Conditioner
- Hair Mask: Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
- Styling Product: Living proof. STYLE|LAB T.B.D. Multi-Tasking Styler
- Dry Shampoo: R+Co DEATH VALLEY Dry Shampoo
- Hair Tool: ghd Platinum Styler
- Body Lotion: JUARA Candlenut Body Creme