You don't need a wand to create loose, voluminous waves. Follow the steps in this tutorial (and below!) to get the look with your trusty flat iron.
1. Apply a heat protectant from mid-shaft to the ends of dry hair to prevent damage from your tools.
2. (optional): For fine hair, apply a hairspray with a medium hold.
3. Begin with a one-inch section near the front of your face.
4. Apply your straightener to the section, then flip the straightener to point away from your face.
5. In this position, slowly pull the flat iron away from your head. (Don't freak out if you see steam! It means your heat protectant is working.)
6. After creating the wave, flip it with your fingers and allow it to cool.
7. Repeat around the rest of your head. (Alternate your curls toward and away from your face to create texture.)
8. Once your waves have cooled, spritz a texturizing spray to add volume.
9. Gently separate your waves with your fingers.
Maura M. Lynch
Burt's Bees addict. Watches way too much TV. Has never turned down a french fry.