Summer has finally arrived (and it only took until July for some parts of the country—ahem, Chicago)! So it's time to set up and hunker down in your (or your friend's) outdoor space. Some of you might reside in the suburbs and have a nice yard for entertaining guests; many of you might live in a city and rely on three square feet of a rickety urban fire escape as an outdoor retreat for your morning coffee. Whatever the case may be, we wanted to show you that with only five fundamental items, you too can create a cozy, complete outdoor space!
5 Key Components to Style Any Outdoor Space
1. Seating Takes many forms, including dining chairs, a bench, or even floor pillows (if you have minimal room). Regardless, you need a comfy seat for your seat!
2. Table: A reliable, sturdy surface to hold your beverage, rest your laptop, write in your journal, etc.
3. Rug: Makes the space feel finished but depending on the weather, a rug can potentially get dirty very quickly. Make sure to buy an outdoor/indoor material that is easy to clean.
4. Lighting: To set the mood, lighting can be in the form of candles, twinkle lights, tiki torches—whatever atmosphere you are going for!
5. Plant life: Nothing will pretty up a space like some fresh greenery, herbs, or flowers. In a city? Use a window box!
Table, CB2; chairs, CB2; rug, Wayfair; globe lights, Target; flowers and pots, Jayson Home; runner, Crate and Barrel Outlet; white tray, West Elm; teal trim napkins, Crate and Barrel Outlet; gold flatware, West Elm; ice bucket, World Market; blue drinking glasses, World Market; teal cheetah pillows, Pottery Barn; beige medallion pillow, Pottery Barn
Photos: Danielle Moss