1. Comb or brush: for setting hairs into place
2. High-grade clippers: for trimming
3. Scissors: for detailing
How to Trim Your Mustache:
1. Comb it to the sides: Set the hairs in place, readying them for an even trim.
2. Clip on desired setting: Trim all hairs to the same length. If you're doing this for the first time, start with a higher setting and work your way down.
3. Comb hairs straight down: This prepares you to trim any hairs that will hang over the lip.
4. Clip hairs along lip: Remove the clipper guard and snip anything that covers the lip.
Optional tip, for longer mustaches: Comb hairs to both sides down the middle of the philtrum (which is just below the septum of the nose). Snip a small, upside-down 'V' into here (watch video for demo), thus giving your mustache more symmetry and direction.
Watch this video for more beard and mustache grooming tricks:
Not sure what kind of 'stache to grow? Consider one of these six different types of mustaches.
Subscribe to the Birchbox Man YouTube channel for more grooming tips and tricks.