Pompadour Fade Requirements
** The sides should start with a buzzaround a #1-1/2 clipper settingand taper upwards. For a more old-school rockabilly look, keep them a little longer, and dont be afraid of some sideburn.
** Hair on the top of the head should be long enough to lay flat when combed back, and have a lot of height when blown dry. For most guys, this means at least 4 inches of length.
How to Style the Pompadour Fade
1. Start with clean, towel-dried hair.
2. Using a water-based high-hold pomade, slick back the sides of the hair.
3. Take a blow dryer and set to high heat.
4. Using a round brush, start at the back of the head and roll the brush backwards while pushing the hair forward and upward. Proceed section by section, blow drying the brushed hair at the same time.
5. Continue up to the hairline, brushing the hair forward and up while blow drying, then spend some extra time at the very front for extra volume. The hair should be pointed upwards at about a 60-degree angle.
6. Take a quarter sized amount of the same water-based pomade and work it through the top of the hair, maintaining the height and shape from the blow dryer.
7. Finish off with a blast of hairspray, applied about 10 inches from the head.
Learn To Love Your Blow Dryer
Everything here starts with a blow dryerthe product just helps hold your hair in place. Here are the basics you need to know for this styling tool, which will give you the perfectly coifed pompadour.
** **High Heat = High Hair: If you're looking for a lot of volume, use the highest heat setting on the blow dryerit encourages hair to stand on end.
** **When It Looks Good, Cool It: Most blow dryers come with a cool blast setting, and it's not just something to blow over your body on a hot summer day. Cold air actually seals the cuticle of the hair, so once the style is how you want it, switch to cool air to keep it that way.
** **Get Attached: Blow dryers come with a lot of attachments, most of which you don't need. The one thing you'll want to hold on to is the condenserit looks like a vacuum attachment that might fit between couch cushions, but it actually directs the flow of air from the dryer so you get more precise results.
More Mens Hair Styling Tips
Be sure to pick a hairstyle that matches your face shape.
Learn how to properly apply hair product.
Different stylerslike wax, paste, pomade, or creamdo different things. See where they fall on the Hold vs. Shine hair-styling matrix.
Subscribe to Birchbox Grooming to discover personalized products for you, here!