As a dyed-in-the-wool geek, I love learning the origin stories behind innovative brands. I’ve met forces of nature like Ido Leffler, the founder of Yes To. Leffler has enough nail-biter stories from the early days of the natural beauty brand to make a blockbuster movie. And recently I was introduced to Ruffian, a New York-based fashion duo who got their start designing whimsical neckwear (think Victorian ruffs meet modern sparkle)—we were lucky enough to work with them on their very first lacquer collection.
It’s no coincidence that we chose this, our anniversary month, to talk about heritage. Three years ago, we launched our company with just 600 subscribers. Millions of boxes later, we’re still committed to our core mission: to help you discover products, techniques, trends, and much more. We mean it when we say we wouldn’t be here without you. That’s why we put together a little video celebrating you, our customers. Watch it here.
After you’re done patting yourself on the back for being so awesome, be sure to check out this month’s issue.
Highlights from the September issue:
- August 2013 Sneak Peek: Get a crash course in this month’s main attractions, from an exclusive nail polish sample to a sweet gift with purchase.
- How to Brighten Your Eyes: Celebrity makeup artist Mally Roncal swung by our video studio to dispense life wisdom and eye-popping tips.
- A Trip Down Birchbox Memory Lane: We sifted through the archives to bring you some key moments in Birchbox history.
- How They Met: Sometimes two heads are much much better than one. We asked beauty power duos to share their stories.
- Water Need Not Apply: We rounded up the top dry shampoos for every type of hair.