Beards · May 28, 2014
How To: Trim Your Beard (If Youre Growing It Out)
Beard Trimming Tools:
1. [Comb] (https://www.birchbox.com/product/8097) or [brush] (https://www.birchbox.com/product/16787000): for detangling
2. [High-grade clippers] (https://www.birchbox.com/product/18515): for trimming
3. Scissors: for detailing
4. [Beard oil] (https://www.birchbox.com/product/36328) or [moisturizer] (https://www.birchbox.com/product/38992): for softness and health
How to Trim Your Beard:
1. Comb it out: Get all of your hairs settled into one direction. Comb everywhere, including the mustache and bottom.
2. Use clippers for an even cut: If you want to maintain the length showcased here (half an inch), try a number 4 setting. If you aren't sure, just start with a bigger clip and work your way down. Increase this size as your beard continues to grow out.
3. Fade the neck and cheeks: Graduate to smaller clipper settings (starting two sizes lower) as you move outward. Try this tutorial for trimming and fading your beard.
4. Trim the mustache properly: Comb all hairs to the side first, and clip on desired setting. Then comb down over the lip and remove the guard, to trim anything that hangs over onto the lip.
5. Use scissors for detailing: Clean up strays and give yourself a more natural finish.
6. Finish with a beard oil or beard moisturizer: These will keep your hairs healthy and prevent them from drying and itching.
Additional Beard Trimming Tips:
1. Trim your beard when it's dry: You'll get a better sense of how it will look.
2. Invest in a solid pair of clippers: They will last much longer and are far more durable.
3. Don't assume all guards are the same length: Like with clothing, every brand's measurements are slightly different. Always test on a higher guard before settling into your preferred length. Generally, though, a 4 guard is half an inch.
4. When you trim the underside, stretch out the skin: The neck skin can bunch together, so be sure you're grazing over the actual surface of the skin.
Not yet a Birchbox Subscriber? Join Here
More Beard Necessities:
How to Find the Best Beard Style for Your Face Shape
5 Tips and Tricks for Trimming Your Beard or Mustache
How to Trim and Fade Your Beard Neckline
8 Ways to Optimize Your Beard: Grooming Tips
5 Ways to Keep Your Beard Healthy
A 30-Day Plan for the First-Time Beard Grower
How to Remedy a Dry, Itchy Beard
10 Things You Should Know If Youre Considering a Beard Transplant
How to Apply Beard Oil: A GIF Guide