1. Nostalgia is a powerful force, so make sure it's on your side. If you remember the tie or cologne that you wore on your very first date, this is the night for a comeback.
2. The mixtape isn't dead: In fact, it's more sentimental than ever. Make your date a personalized Spotify mix as a bonus throwback gift (emphasis on "bonus").
3. A trip down memory lane is nice, but this is no night to be predictable. A fresh haircut from a master barberlike a slick high and tightis a surefire way to earn a double-take.
4. To make a lasting impression, prioritize words over gifts. Ditch the store-bought V-Day card (really, go throw it out) and write your partner a heartfelt note on letter paper or stationery. They'll keep it much longer than roses, believe us.
5. Valentine's Day doesn't have to end at midnight. Buy everything you need to make breakfast in bed, and cap the experience with a morning-after meal.
6. Planning to propose? So are 6 million other people. If youre striving for surprise, do it on the 15th instead.
Copywriter, cold brew advocate, purveyor of handcrafted birthday haikus since 2009.